Matthew Whitaker, Trump’s interim replacement for attorney general, is longtime critic of special counsel
- The Guardian (Image)
- Jeff Sessions is fired as United States Attorney General, with Matthew Whitaker becoming the acting director.
- Jeff Sessions resigns - under pressure from the White House - as United States Attorney General, with Matthew Whitaker becoming the acting director.
- Jeff Sessions fired as United States Attorney General, with Matthew Whitaker becoming the acting director.
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions fires former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe because of a report from the Office of Professional Responsibility accusing McCabe of making an unauthorized news media disclosure and lacking candor on multiple occasions.
- Voters in Alabama go to the polls to fill the United States Senate seat vacated by current United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The race is between Roy Moore (R) and Doug Jones (D).
- United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions, along with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and National Intelligence Director Dan Coats visit the Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp.
- United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions requests the resignations of 46 Barack Obama-era chief federal prosecutors, including United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York Preet Bharara, who was previously told to stay on by then President-elect Donald Trump in November.
- The United States Senate, in a 52 to 47 vote, confirms the nomination of Jeff Sessions as United States Attorney General.