New research suggests Europa, a moon of Jupiter, may be covered in tall, jagged ice spikes, presenting a problem for any potential landing on its surface.
The equator may be extra spiky
- The Verge (Image)
- Washington Post
- Ten new moons are discovered around Jupiter, raising the count to 79 confirmed moons. One of these new moons, S-2016 J 2, nicknamed "Valetudo", is notable for orbiting backwards compared to the other moons in its vicinity, and may collide with one of them in the future.
- JunoCam captures an image of Jupiter's "brown barge", a cyclone-like shape that has weather patterns in Jupiter's atmosphere.
- In data collected by NASA's "Juno" spacecraft, an INAF team discovers suggestions of a new volcano close to the south pole of Jupiter's moon Io.
- Another satellite of Jupiter is announced, S-2017 J 1, just 3 days after the announcement of S-2016 J 1.
- Two of Jupiter's moons, S-2003 J 18 and S-2011 J 2 are recovered, and a small 1.5-kilometer outer moon (S-2016 J 1) is discovered, the first moon discovered around a major planet in 6 years.