Hurricane Florence weakens to a category 2 storm, but "life-threatening storm surge and rainfall" to the Carolinas remain likely with tropical-storm-force winds on Thursday.
The widening Florence, and its likelihood of lingering around the coast for days, will bring ocean water surging onto land and torrential rain.
- Business Insider
- WBIR (Image)
- Amtrak modifies services and cancels train services south of Washington, D.C. ahead of Hurricane Florence. FlightAware reported that 180 flights have been cancelled. Charleston International Airport in South Carolina is expected to close by midnight.
- The Donald Trump campaign cancels a rally for Missouri ahead of Hurricane Florence, which is expected to make landfall on the East Coast.
- Hurricane Florence regains strength to a category 4 major hurricane and is expected to threaten the East Coast of the United States near the Carolinas in the coming days, with the potential for a category 4 or 5 landfall with very large rainfall totals. Preparations are underway for evacuation of around 1 million coastal inhabitants of South Carolina.
- The National Hurricane Center issues advisories for what forecasters call a Potential Tropical Cyclone Six. If it strengthens to a tropical storm, it would be known as Florence.
- Passengers who were planning on visiting Bermuda are forced to change plans and go to Maine and Canada thanks to a threat of safety posed by Hurricane Florence.