Iraq announces the executions of seven terror convicts in Dhi Qar, saying the men, all citizens of Iraq, were hanged yesterday.
Iraq has faced criticism from rights groups over high number of death sentences
- Gulf News (Image)
- Seven people are killed and more than 30 are injured during a rally in Basra, Iraq after security forces opened fire.
- The Trump administration is considering sending captured ISIL fighters to a prison in Iraq, as well as sending "high-valued fighters", who participated in the murder of Americans and other Western hostages, to the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. Human rights groups and the Democratic Party are opposed to holding these people indefinitely without charges and say they should be tried in federal courts.
- Yazidi demonstrators at Calgary City Hall in Calgary, Alberta call for the Canadian government to help with efforts to reunite family members in Canada who fled the genocide perpetrated by ISIL in 2014 with those still living in Iraq.
- Health officials state that the Iraqi city of Basra has recorded 17,000 infection cases due to water contamination. A cholera outbreak is feared as salinity rates continue to increase in the unprocessed water.
- Protests that began last week in Iraq continue amid widespread anger over poor public services, high unemployment, and pollution.