More than 4,000 migrants are arriving in Ecuador each day in an attempt to flee the ongoing crises in Venezuela.
- Al Jazeera (Image)
- Around ten heads of state attend the 17th Non-aligned Movement summit in Isla Margarita, Venezuela, including Evo Morales of Bolivia, Raul Castro of Cuba, Rafael Correa of Ecuador, Hassan Rouhani of Iran, Mahmoud Abbas of the State of Palestine, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, and Venezuela's president Nicolas Maduro.
- Ecuador declares a state of emergency over increased activity at the Cotopaxi volcano near the capital of Quito. Its last major eruption was in 1877.
- Ecuador declares a state of emergency in the Galpagos Islands after a ship, "The Floreana", carrying hazardous materials ran aground January 28.
- 21 people are killed and several states declare a state of emergency after torrential rains in Venezuela.
- Heavy flooding and mudslides claim at least 21 lives in Venezuela, with the President of Venezuela declaring a state of emergency in the state of Falcon.