The milestone has magnified debate about migration, as well as congestion in Melbourne and Sydney.
- BBC (Image)
- Australia formally recognizes West Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and East Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state but will not move its embassy from Tel Aviv until a peace settlement is reached with the Palestinians.
- In Port Hedland, Australia, authorities deliberately derail a runaway train after the driver left the train for an inspection. The assemblage consisted of four locomotives and two hundred sixty-eight wagons, was operated by BHP Billiton on the Pilbara Railways, and traveled ninety-two kilometers. The train was en route from Newman to Port Hedland.
- Flash flooding kills two people and causes major power outages in Sydney, Australia.
- A 500 km dust storm, that engulfed parts of Australia’s outback, reaches Sydney.
- Poland and Israel join Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, Australia and Austria in announcing that, despite their agreement in July, they will not sign the United Nations Global Compact for Migration in Marrakech on 10–11 December 2018.