Brazil closes its international border with Venezuela, following a similar move enacted but then rescinded by Colombia earlier in 2018, as a response to an increase in Venezuelans fleeing their country to neighbouring states.
Judge says entry of immigrants suspended until conditions for ‘humanitarian reception’ are created – activists called it ‘absurd’
- The Guardian (Image)
- The United States pledges US$9 million in aid to Colombia to help support Venezuelan migrants in the country.
- Newly inaugurated Colombian President Ivan Duque Marquez announces that he will not have an ambassador in neighboring Venezuela.
- Argentina, Brazil and Bolivia express concerns whilst Peru supports a planned accord by Colombian President Alvaro Uribe to allow United States troops to use several bases. Venezuela announces trade measures against Colombia.
- The leaders of Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia and Spain meet in Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela. They agree to resist drug trafficking, terrorism and poverty.
- Brazil offers to mediate between Colombia and Venezuela in a disagreement about the capture of Rodrigo Granda.