Arguing that the Turkish currency "slides rapidly downward" against the "very strong Dollar", President of the United States Donald Trump authorises the doubling of Section 232 tariffs on imports of aluminium and steel from Turkey, to 20% and 50% respectively. The Turkish lira further falls to a new record low against the US dollar and Turkish stocks tumble. Last month, Trump threatened "large sanctions" on Turkey if it refuses to release Andrew Brunson, a US pastor detained for supporting the 2016 Turkish coup d'etat attempt.
The Turkish lira added to its steep losses on Friday, hitting a fresh record low, after President Donald Trump authorized the doubling of metals tariffs on Turkey.
- CNBC (Image)
- The White House imposes sanctions on two Turkish officials over the detention of Andrew Brunson, an American pastor who is being tried on espionage and terror-related charges.
- The wife of a former US Marine and Iraq War veteran whose family publicly pleaded for President Donald Trump to intervene is deported to Mexico.
- The former campaign chairman of U.S. President Donald Trump, Paul Manafort, appears in court for the opening day of his criminal trial on 18 bank and fraud charges brought by special counsel Robert Mueller.
- U.S. President Donald Trump and European leaders agree to halt their trade war over vehicles and say they will open talks on removing trade barriers between the United States and the European Union.
- United States President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin meet in Helsinki.