Violence breaks out in Zimbabwe amid allegations of election-rigging by the ruling Zanu-PF party.
Troops open fire in the capital Harare after opposition MDC Alliance supporters go on the rampage.
- BBC (Image)
- The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission declares Emmerson Mnangagwa of the ruling ZANU-PF party the winner of Zimbabwe's 2018 presidential election.
- Voters in Zimbabwe go to the polls to elect a new president and members for both houses of the Parliament, the first election to not involve longtime former president Robert Mugabe.
- Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa survives an apparent assassination attempt when an explosive device detonates at an election campaign rally in Bulawayo. A few bystanders, including Vice-President Kembo Mohadi, suffer minor injuries.
- Morgan Tsvangirai, opposition politician in Zimbabwe, dies of colon cancer at the age of 65, only months before a presidential election.
- Voters in Zimbabwe go to the polls to vote on a new constitution with both major parties Zanu-PF and Movement for Democratic Change - Tsvangirai supporting the new constitution.