Fires across California kill at least eight people. One month into the fiscal year, the state's emergency fund is about one quarter spent.
Fires raging across California have killed at least eight people, stretching the state's funds and resources thin as firefighters try to gain control.
- UPI (Image)
- The United States Forest Service says that the Mendocino Complex Fire, largest wildfire on record in California, has been contained.
- The Carr wildfire threatening Redding, California, U.S., kills two firefighters, as many residents flee their homes.
- Five people are killed in a string of shootings in Bakersfield, California, before the gunman fatally shoots himself.
- A 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO is sold for $48.4 million at an auction in California, making it the most expensive car ever sold through auction.
- Authorities arrest 32-year old John Colin Eagle Skoda after investigators concluded that a debris fire he started turned into a 60-square-mile blaze that killed one person and destroyed 35 homes.