A U.S. special forces soldier is killed and four others are wounded in an ambush by suspected al-Shabaab militants near the town of Jamame, Lower Juba, Somalia.
The US suffers a rare casualty in Somalia, where its forces help local troops fight jihadists.
- BBC (Image)
- The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) says that a U.S. airstrike has killed around 60 al-Shabaab militants near Harardhere in central Somalia.
- A car bomb claimed by Al-Shabab kills five people including the driver and wounds around ten others outside Somalia's Parliament, Interior Ministry, and Presidential Palace buildings in Mogadishu.
- A car bomb blast in Mogadishu, near the Weheliye hotel in the Somali capital, kills at least 14 people and injures 10 others. Al-Shabab claims responsibility for the blast.
- Two car bombings near the presidential palace in Mogadishu, Somalia, kill at least 38 people. Al-Shabaab claim responsibility for the attacks.
- The United States is to deploy troops to Somalia for the first time since 1994 to help train the Somali Armed Forces in their conflict with al-Shabaab insurgents.