Microsoft announces that it is acquiring code repository GitHub for US$7.5 billion in stock, pending regulatory review.
- The Verge (Image)
- A US federal judge orders PricewaterhouseCoopers to pay US$625.3 million compensation to Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. The judge rules PwC negligently caused losses to F.D.I.C. by failing to uncover fraud during audits of Colonial BancGroup. Colonial, one the nation's 25 largest banks, and Taylor, Bean & Whitaker, the 12th-largest mortgage broker in the US, both collapsed in August 2009 as a result of fraud between the two. F.D.I.C. was the receiver for Colonial.
- US retailer Walmart acquires a 77% controlling stake in Flipkart, India's largest online shop, for US$16 billion.
- U.S. firearms and ammunition manufacturer Remington Arms files for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after amassing US$950 million worth of debt.
- The largest U.S. broadcaster, iHeartMedia, owner of 850 radio stations, files for chapter 11 bankruptcy after accumulating US$20 billion in debt.
- American computer company IBM announces plans to acquire American software company Red Hat for US$34 billion.