Police in Assam have arrested 18 people in connection of lynching two youths following rumors on WhatsApp and social media that they were child traffickers.
Police action comes after outrage over the killing of two men on 'child kidnapping' rumours circulated on social media.
- Al Jazeera (Image)
- Eight people, including a juvenile and a caretaker for a local temple, go on trial in Kathua, Jammu and Kashmir, accused of abducting an eight-year-old girl, keeping her captive, sexually abusing her, and murdering her in a high-profile case that has already been the subject of nationwide protests and pretrial Supreme Court proceedings.
- Three soldiers are killed in an ambush in Assam.
- National "Stay Away" protests, organized over the Internet via the WhatsApp social messaging platform, take place in Zimbabwe, following fears of an economic collapse amid calls for President Robert Mugabe's resignation.
- Around 1.8 million people are affected, and the Kaziranga National Park is submerged, due to heavy rains causing flooding in Assam.
- The death toll from floods in the Indian state of Assam rises to seven, with 650,000 people displaced.