Hawaiian volcano Kilauea begins erupting at the Leilani Estates subdivision, spurring a mandatory evacuation order of residents.
This is a Civil Defense update for Friday May 4, 2018 at 2 AM. Hawaiian Volcano Observatory ...
- County of Hawaii
- About 35 structures in Leilani Estates are destroyed during the Kilauea eruption in Hawaii.
- At Leilani Estates, 26 homes and 4 buildings were destroyed by Kilauea, forcing 1700 people to leave their homes.
- After over 600 earthquakes, including a magnitude 5.0 at Kilauea, parts of Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park have struck, causing the nearby Pu`u `O`o, to close due to fears of an eruption. The volcano erupted and evacuations were issued.
- The summit at Kilauea erupts and sends a plume of ash and smoke 30,000 ft into the air.
- A magnitude 6.9 earthquake hits Hawaii, the strongest in over 40 years, amid ongoing seismic and volcanic activity.