Britain will take back control of the running of the rail route between London and Edinburgh from private operator Stagecoach after the company failed to make the contract work financially.
- Reuters (Image)
- Following the cancellation of the Williams & Glyn bank formation, the Royal Bank of Scotland announces the closure of 162 RBS and subsidiary NatWest branches across the United Kingdom.
- A report reveals that 2017 saw over ten thousand new businesses in the technology sector throughout the United Kingdom, with all areas seeing growth over 2016. Scotland saw a 77% increase with 440 new firms.
- Toys "R" Us announce that they will close down all of their stores in the United Kingdom after rescue talks fail, resulting in the loss of about 3,000 jobs.
- U.S. toy and juvenile-products retailer Toys "R" Us collapses into administration in the United Kingdom, putting 3200 jobs at risk.
- The UK economy grew by 0.8% in the third quarter, higher than expectations, but lower than second quarter's growth rate of 1.2%.