A foundation founded by billionaire George Soros is closing its Budapest operations following the Hungarian government's crackdown on civil-society groups.
- CNN (Image)
- Russia bans two George Soros-run foundations, including the Open Society Foundations, for posing a threat to "Russian national security". The Open Society Foundation and the Open Society Institute's Assistance Foundation, both financed by business magnate Soros, are the latest additions to a list of "undesirable organizations", a list the Russian government says is necessary to stop foreign governments from interfering in Russia's internal affairs.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says that recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi were issued to Saudi Arabia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and France.
- Voters in the German state of Hesse go to the polls to elect a new legislature. The election is widely considered a test for Angela Merkel's ruling CDU-SPD coalition.
- Authorities arrest eight men after a gang rape in Freiburg, Germany on 14 October, with police seeking more men.
- A mail bomb is discovered at the home of George Soros in Bedford, New York, United States. It is safely detonated by the Bedford Police Department. While Soros was not at the residence when the device was discovered, the businessman and philanthropist is believed to be the intended target.