A foundation founded by billionaire George Soros is closing its Budapest operations following the Hungarian government's crackdown on civil-society groups.
- CNN (Image)
- Russia bans two George Soros-run foundations, including the Open Society Foundations, for posing a threat to "Russian national security". The Open Society Foundation and the Open Society Institute's Assistance Foundation, both financed by business magnate Soros, are the latest additions to a list of "undesirable organizations", a list the Russian government says is necessary to stop foreign governments from interfering in Russia's internal affairs.
- In Lubeck, Germany, a man stabs another in the chest on a bus, prompting an evacuation. Thirteen other people are injured and a suspect is apprehended.
- Malta detains German migrant rescue boat MV "Sea Watch 3", which had been docked in Valletta for repairs, as it attempts to head into the Mediterranean Sea to rescue migrants off the Libyan coast.
- In Germany, the accused members and supporters of the Neo-Nazi terrorist group National Socialist Underground are found guilty of the murders of nine immigrants and one policewoman, assistance in said murders, bomb attacks, attempted murders, and robbery. The main defendant and last surviving member of the terrorist group, Beate Zschape, is sentenced to life imprisonment.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel faces resistance by the Bavarian CSU over the result of the EU asylum policy summit last week.