A foundation founded by billionaire George Soros is closing its Budapest operations following the Hungarian government's crackdown on civil-society groups.
- CNN (Image)
- Russia bans two George Soros-run foundations, including the Open Society Foundations, for posing a threat to "Russian national security". The Open Society Foundation and the Open Society Institute's Assistance Foundation, both financed by business magnate Soros, are the latest additions to a list of "undesirable organizations", a list the Russian government says is necessary to stop foreign governments from interfering in Russia's internal affairs.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel removes Hans-Georg Maassen from the position of President of the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution after his remarks downplaying anti-migrant violence.
- The world's first commercial hydrogen-powered passenger train enters service in Lower Saxony, Germany. The Alstom developed train uses a hydrogen fuel cell which emits no carbon dioxide.
- Germany lifts a blanket ban on Nazi symbolism in video games, including the swastika.
- A German couple is jailed for twelve years each for selling the woman's son to a Spanish pedophile on the dark web, who repeatedly abused him. The couple themselves previously abused the boy and a three-year-old girl, whom they are ordered to pay EUR42,500 in compensation. The Spaniard is sentenced to ten years.