A foundation founded by billionaire George Soros is closing its Budapest operations following the Hungarian government's crackdown on civil-society groups.
- CNN (Image)
- Russia bans two George Soros-run foundations, including the Open Society Foundations, for posing a threat to "Russian national security". The Open Society Foundation and the Open Society Institute's Assistance Foundation, both financed by business magnate Soros, are the latest additions to a list of "undesirable organizations", a list the Russian government says is necessary to stop foreign governments from interfering in Russia's internal affairs.
- Vodafone acquires Liberty Global's European operations, including German cable operator Unitymedia, for EUR18.4 billion.
- A collision of two trains near Aichach in Germany leaves two people dead and at least 14 injured.
- Police in Germany release six men suspected of plotting a terror attack at yesterday's Berlin Half Marathon, one of who was linked to Anis Amri, after failing to find evidence to substantiate their suspicions.
- German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer rejects claims that yesterday's car attack was an act of either Islamic or far-right terrorism, saying the attacker was not politically motivated.