Following the cancellation of the Williams & Glyn bank formation, the Royal Bank of Scotland announces the closure of 162 RBS and subsidiary NatWest branches across the United Kingdom.
Royal Bank of Scotland is to close 162 branches in England and Wales, resulting in nearly 800 job losses.
- The Independent
- A report reveals that 2017 saw over ten thousand new businesses in the technology sector throughout the United Kingdom, with all areas seeing growth over 2016. Scotland saw a 77% increase with 440 new firms.
- Toys "R" Us announce that they will close down all of their stores in the United Kingdom after rescue talks fail, resulting in the loss of about 3,000 jobs.
- U.S. toy and juvenile-products retailer Toys "R" Us collapses into administration in the United Kingdom, putting 3200 jobs at risk.
- The UK economy grew by 0.8% in the third quarter, higher than expectations, but lower than second quarter's growth rate of 1.2%.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland announces cuts of 3,700 staff in the United Kingdom.