The terror trial of Beate Zschape hears closing arguments in Germany. In addition to a series of murders, Zschape stands accused of bombings and bank robberies.
A defence lawyer for Beate Zschäpe, the only surviving member of a German neo-Nazi trio, Tuesday launched final arguments, signalling the end phase of a mammoth murder and terrorism trial.
- The Local (Image)
- In Germany, the accused members and supporters of the Neo-Nazi terrorist group National Socialist Underground are found guilty of the murders of nine immigrants and one policewoman, assistance in said murders, bomb attacks, attempted murders, and robbery. The main defendant and last surviving member of the terrorist group, Beate Zschape, is sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Malta detains German migrant rescue boat MV "Sea Watch 3", which had been docked in Valletta for repairs, as it attempts to head into the Mediterranean Sea to rescue migrants off the Libyan coast.
- Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman, 20, is convicted of terror offences after attempting to kill guards, attack Theresa May, and blow himself up on Downing Street using fake explosives provided to him in a sting operation.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel faces resistance by the Bavarian CSU over the result of the EU asylum policy summit last week.
- Container ship MV "Alexander Maersk" is allowed by Italian authorities to dock in Pozzallo, Sicily, after several days. There, it discharges over 100 rescued migrants. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte says German migrant rescue ship MV "Lifeline" will be permitted to dock in Malta in a deal that will see some of the migrants on board come to Italy.