The terror trial of Beate Zschape hears closing arguments in Germany. In addition to a series of murders, Zschape stands accused of bombings and bank robberies.
A defence lawyer for Beate Zschäpe, the only surviving member of a German neo-Nazi trio, Tuesday launched final arguments, signalling the end phase of a mammoth murder and terrorism trial.
- The Local (Image)
- In Germany, the accused members and supporters of the Neo-Nazi terrorist group National Socialist Underground are found guilty of the murders of nine immigrants and one policewoman, assistance in said murders, bomb attacks, attempted murders, and robbery. The main defendant and last surviving member of the terrorist group, Beate Zschape, is sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says that recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi were issued to Saudi Arabia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and France.
- Voters in the German state of Hesse go to the polls to elect a new legislature. The election is widely considered a test for Angela Merkel's ruling CDU-SPD coalition.
- Authorities arrest eight men after a gang rape in Freiburg, Germany on 14 October, with police seeking more men.
- German media uncover a large ISIL terrorism plot which had been foiled in 2016.