Thirteen Catalan separatist politicians appear before the Spanish Supreme Court. Marta Rovira, who is "self-exiled" in Switzerland, does not attend.
Catalan separatist politician Marta Rovira ignores court summons, says in letter she has chose ‘path to exile’
- AP via ''U.S. News & World Report
- El Mundo
- New York Times (Image)
- The Washington Post
- A million Catalonia residents launch an "autumn of protests" on National Day of Catalonia to demand independence from Spain and release "high-profile" secessionists from jail.
- 15,000 demonstrators gather in Barcelona, Spain, to support the mock region of Tabarnia--a hypothetical area that includes the least independentist areas of Catalonia--as a way to oppose Catalan independence and the declaration of independence on October 27.
- Carles Puigdemont, ex-President of Catalonia, travels to Denmark while Spanish Attorney General requests the European Arrest Warrant. The Speaker of the Catalan Parliament appoints Puigdemont to be invested as President. Spain's Supreme Court refuses to reactivate the arrest warrant.
- Spain plans to sue leading members of the Catalan Parliament over the proposed independence referendum in Catalonia.
- Thirteen are killed and 34 others injured after a bus carrying Erasmus exchange students returning from the renowned Falles fireworks festival in Valencia, crashes near Freginals, Spain. The regional government of Catalonia said in a statement that, "... according to the latest data, the ill-fated bus had students from Hungary, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Italy, Peru, Bulgaria, Poland, Ireland, Japan, Ukraine, Holland, Belgium, France, Palestine, Turkey, (and) Greece."