Iran-United States relations
The U.S. Treasury sanctions five Iranian entities associated with Iran's ballistic missile program.
The U.S. Treasury Department's actions come amid anti-government protests in Iran, which have received vocal support from the White House.
- The United States charges and sanctions nine Iranians and the Iranian company Mabna Institute for hacking and attempting to hack hundreds of universities.
- Nikki Haley, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, accuses Iran of violating the 2015 nuclear deal by allegedly supplying the missile fired last month on Saudi Arabia from Yemen. Iran refutes the claim as based on "fabricated" evidence.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Judge Ellen S. Huvelle awards Amir Mirza Hekmati, a U.S. Marine who was imprisoned in Iran as a falsely accused CIA spy, a default judgment of $63 million for his ordeal.
- The United States Navy says the USS "Thunderbolt" fired a warning shot at an Iranian patrol boat after it came within 150 yards of the U.S. ship.
- The United States Senate passed by an overwhelming majority a bill ramping-up sanctions against Russia and against Iran. Language in the measure also reaffirms United States' commitment to NATO.