The Bayeux Tapestry, which depicts the Norman conquest of England, is to be displayed in the United Kingdom for the first time after French President Emmanuel Macron agreed to loan it out for the first time in 950 years. Subject to the outcome of tests, the loan is expected to happen somewhere after 2020.
President Macron is understood to have agreed to let it leave France for the first time in 950 years.
- BBC (Image)
- Based upon information from the General Directorate for Internal Security, French authorities arrest five men and one woman suspected of planning an attack on French President Emmanuel Macron. Police report the suspects are radical far right citizens.
- French President Emmanuel Macron accepts the resignation of Minister of the Interior Gerard Collomb.
- French President Emmanuel Macron announces the recognition that the French state systematically tortured during the 1950s-60s Algerian War of Independence and calls to open archives concerning those who disappeared, such as activist Maurice Audin.
- A French judge hands preliminary charges to one of French President Emmanuel Macron's top security aides after video surfaced showing him attacking a protester at a May Day demonstration.
- French President Emmanuel Macron phones Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, telling Erdogan that the UN-approved ceasefire in Syria also applies in the Afrin Region.