Finland celebrates its 100 years of independence.
Finland's main official centenary celebrations are in Helsinki and Kuopio.
- Yle News
- Abderrahman Bouanane goes on trial in a courtroom set up within a prison in Turku, Finland, accused of two murders and eight attempted murders in an alleged terror attack. The charges, the first terrorism crimes ever charged in Finland, relate to a stabbing in Turku's main market square. Bouanane is charged with two counts of terror-related murder and eight counts of attempted murder with a terror-related motive.
- The Finnish government decides not to expand a small two-year trial of universal basic income.
- An unidentified civilian is jailed for three and a half years for terror offences connected to banned neo-Nazi group National Action. Acquitted Finnish national Mikko Vehvilainen, a serving soldier in the British Army, is jailed alongside him for a weapons offence, receiving 12 months.
- Delegations from North Korea, South Korea, and the United States meet in the outskirts of Helsinki, Finland.
- Four people (three military conscripts and a train passenger) are killed and four conscripts are injured after a passenger train collides with an off-road military truck in Raseborg, Finland.