U.S. Representative John Conyers (D-Mich.) steps down amid allegations of sexual harassment.
The move by the longtime Democratic congressman from Michigan came after top House Democrats and House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., had called on him to resign.
- NPR (Image)
- John Conyers stands down as the ranking Democrat on the United States House Committee on the Judiciary following a series of sexual harassment allegations.
- U.S. Democrat John Dingell of Michigan becomes the House of Representatives' longest-serving member.
- A special election for Ohio's 12th congressional district is held following the resignation of Republican Representative Pat Tiberi. The Republican candidate is Troy Balderson and the Democratic candidate is Danny O'Connor.
- Nancy Pelosi breaks the record for the longest speech in the United States House of Representatives. The 77-year-old Democrat spoke for eight hours non-stop, pleading for a vote to protect "Dreamer" immigrants who illegally immigrated and face the threat of deportation.
- Trent Franks, a United States representative for Arizona's 8th congressional district, announces his immediate resignation, following allegations that he asked a female staffer to be a surrogate mother for him. Franks previously announced that he would resign from Congress in January 2018.