Austria's Constitutional Court rules that the government cannot discriminate against same-sex couples' right to marry.
Although civil partnership had been permitted since 2010, the country’s highest court found that marriage should also be open to same-sex couples.
- The New York Times (Image)
- Denmark's parliament votes 75-30 to ban garments that cover the face, which includes Islamic veils such as the niqab and burqa. Those violating the law risk a fine of 1,000 kroner. Similar bans already exist in Austria, Belgium and France.
- Austria's coalition government unveils plans to cut benefit payments for immigrants, including refugees, in a move aimed at deterring new arrivals.
- Irish firm Smyths Toys agrees to buy 93 Toys R Us stores in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland plus four related online shops.
- Around 40 people are injured after two passenger trains collide in Salzburg, Austria.
- Two connected stabbings occurred in Vienna, Austria: three people were seriously injured outside a Japanese restaurant, and one man in a later stabbing. The perpetrator was arrested.