His ties to Russian contacts
Michael Flynn, former U.S. National Security Advisor to President Donald Trump, pleads guilty to one count of making a false statement to the FBI about his contacts with Russian officials. It is also announced that Flynn will cooperate with Robert Mueller's Special Counsel investigation.
The guilty plea by President Trump’s former national security adviser brings the special counsel investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election into Mr. Trump’s inner circle.
- New York Daily News
- The New York Times (Image)
- Paul Manafort and Rick Gates surrender to the FBI after both are indicted on multiple charges stemming from the investigation into the Donald Trump presidential campaign's possible associations with the Russian government. The two men--who respectively served as manager and deputy manager of the campaign from March to August 2016--are being charged on twelve counts, which include conspiracy against the U.S., money laundering and failing to register as foreign agents.
- George Papadopoulos, former 2016 presidential campaign aide to Donald Trump, receives a prison sentence of 14 days for lying to investigators regarding his ties to Russian contacts. He also receives a fine, probation and a community service obligation.
- Former Donald Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort agrees to plead guilty in a foreign-lobbying and money laundering case brought by special counsel Robert Mueller. Manafort has agreed to cooperate with the investigation.
- The lawyer of Peter Strzok, a former agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) who was removed from Robert Mueller's Special Counsel investigation, announces that his client has been fired by the FBI.
- The former campaign chairman of U.S. President Donald Trump, Paul Manafort, appears in court for the opening day of his criminal trial on 18 bank and fraud charges brought by special counsel Robert Mueller.