The White House confirms Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's announcement that President Donald Trump told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that America is preparing to stop supplying weapons to ethnic Kurdish fighters in Syria.
The U.S. will cut off supplies of arms to Kurds in Syria, in a move that will please Turkey but alienate Syrian Kurds who bore much of the fight against ISIS.
- AP via NBC News (Image)
- The Washington Post
- Saudi Arabia is sending troops and fighter jets to Turkey's Incirlik Air Base ahead of a planned ground invasion of Syria. Turkey's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlut Cavusoglu confirmed the deployment in Adana near the Syria-Turkey border, but said the numbers had not been confirmed.
- U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration are considering replacing the U.S. military forces in Syria with a regional Arab force.
- President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the Afrin offensive, as announced, is now to turn east, towards Manbij and the border with Iraq.
- Turkish President Erdogan announces that Turkish Army ground troops have entered the district of Afrin in Syria. Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says the goal is to establish a 30-km safe zone.
- Turkey sends more tanks into northern Syria to continue its offensive against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).