Baldwin Lonsdale, the President of Vanuatu, dies suddenly of a heart attack at age 67. Parliament Speaker Esmon Saimon takes his post as acting president.
Vanuatu was in a state of mourning on Saturday after its revered president, Baldwin Lonsdale, died unexpectedly. He was 67.
- Radio New Zealand
- Tallis Obed Moses is elected President of Vanuatu, succeeding the late President Baldwin Lonsdale, who died in office in June.
- The Vanuatuan Speaker of the Parliament, Marcellino Pipite, serving as acting President, pardons himself and 13 other MPs who had been found guilty of bribery on 9 October 2015.
- American actor James Gandolfini, best known for portraying Tony Soprano in ''The Sopranos'', dies of a heart attack at the age of 51.
- George Steinbrenner, owner of the New York Yankees, dies after suffering a massive heart attack in Florida.
- Iolu Abil is elected the President of Vanuatu during the third round of the Vanuatuan presidential election.
- Gabonese President Omar Bongo dies of a heart attack at age 73.
- Thirty prisoners burn down and escape their jail in Vanuatu. Two Members of Parliament are later arrested for harboring some of the fugitives.
- Scientists prove that eating less salt reduces the chances of stroke or heart attack in the first long-term study on salt's effect on health.
- The government of Vanuatu declares a state of emergency in Port Vila following ethnic clashes.
- The Armenian Prime Minister Andranik Margaryan dies of a heart attack.