In a speech in Munich, Angela Merkel says that Europe must not rely on its former allies.
There’s a statesmanship – a vision, a morality and a core – to her that was thrown into sharp relief by Donald Trump’s shambling visit to Europe
- The Guardian (Image)
- SPD party members approve with 66% in favour to allow to form a coalition with Angela Merkel's CDU-CSU, ending a five-month political deadlock after the federal elections.
- Chancellor Angela Merkel and Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel, for the German caretaker government, decide to delay a decision on upgrading Turkey's German-built Leopard 2 tanks until after the formation of a new government coalition. Foreign Minister of Turkey Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu says Turkey expects "solidarity and support" from its ally.
- Voters in Germany go to the polls to elect members of the Bundestag. Chancellor Angela Merkel of the Christian Democratic Union is widely expected to win a fourth term in office.
- In a joint statement, leaders of the European Union say that recent claims about the United States spying on European leaders, such as Germany's Angela Merkel and citizens, "could prejudice co-operation in intelligence gathering".
- Tony Blair's former chief-of-staff, Jonathan Powell, has been touring European capital cities, including Brussels, Paris and Prague, in an undercover move to make him the first President of the European Council. Blair is supported by French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.