Catholics in Portugal converge in a shrine in Fatima for a visit by Pope Francis.
Catholics converge on the Portuguese shrine 100 years after "miraculous" visions of the Virgin Mary.
- In a new apostolic exhortation, "Gaudete et Exsultate", Pope Francis mentions Satan or the Devil twelve times. Warning against Catholic media transgressing the eighth commandment, he calls to "see how the unguarded tongue, set on fire by hell, sets all things ablaze."
- Pope Francis intends to canonize two of the children who had visions at Fatima.
- Pope Francis calls for a worldwide ban on the death penalty and urges Christian leaders to work to stop executions as part of the church's Holy Year of Mercy.
- The three-week synod on the family convened by Pope Francis at the Vatican concludes with traditional Catholic orientations toward marriage and the family intact.
- Pope Francis of the Roman Catholic Church canonises two saints from Palestine, Sister Mariam Baouardy and Sister Marie Alphonsine Ghattas.