A U.S. Navy F/A-18 Hornet crashes in the Celebes Sea off the Philippines during an attempted landing on the USS ''Carl Vinson''. The pilot ejected and was recovered safely.
A Navy F/A-18E pilot has been safely recovered after ejecting from his fighter jet on final approach to the carrier Carl Vinson.
- Navy Times
- Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines begin joint patrols in the pirate havens within the Celebes and Sulu Seas.
- The carrier USS ''Ronald Reagan'', during a military exercise with South Korea in the Sea of Japan's international waters, scrambled four fighter jets to intercept approaching Russian warplanes, according to the U.S. Navy. IHS Jane's Defence Weekly said encounters such as these were common during the Cold War, subsided with its end but picked up again under current Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Philippines President Benigno Aquino III demands an investigation after a drone purportedly belonging to the United States Navy is found in the Philippine province of Quezon, the second found in the country.
- The Supreme Court of the Philippines says President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte can declare martial law in the whole Philippines. Two days prior, the Supreme Court had
- In alleged emulation of Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs, Indonesian President Joko Widodo announces orders for police to "shoot" suspected drug dealers without trial.
- A new set of kidnappings and a jail break plague Sulu province in the southern region of Mindanao in the Philippines.
- At a United Nations-Oceans summit, delegates from China, Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand, four of the top polluters of plastic into the oceans, pledge to reduce their levels of oceanic plastic pollution.
- The Philippines partially lifts a temporary suspension of deployment of overseas workers to Qatar.
- The Philippines temporarily suspends sending workers to Qatar.
- Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters rebels storm a school in Pigcawayan, North Cotabato, Philippines, and take civilians hostage.