- The ruling party of India, the Bharatiya Janata Party, wins plurality in state assembly elections in Karnataka.
- Amid growing tensions between China and India and Bhutan over disputed land, the Bharatiya Janata Party supports the words of defence minster Arun Jaitley that "India of 2017 is different from India of 1962". It follows a warning from China to India that referenced the defeat of the latter during the 1962 Sino-Indian War.
- Sixteen people, including eight policemen, are injured in a bomb blast at a BJP office in Bangalore, India, weeks ahead of elections in the state of Karnataka.
- Three Bharatiya Janata Party Ministers in the Indian state of Karnataka – Laxman Savadi, C C Patil and J. Krishna Palemar – are forced to resign after footage is shown of them watching a pornographic video in the Legislative Assembly.
- Indian opposition Bharatiya Janata Party seeks the President's intervention on being denied entry into Kashmir Valley for the flag hoisting programme in Srinagar on Republic Day (India).