The Indian state of Gujarat passes a law which makes the slaughter of a cow punishable by life imprisonment.
The new amendment means Gujarat now has the toughest laws dealing with cow slaughter in India.
- BBC (Image)
- A total of 342 people have been arrested for attacking Hindi-speaking migrants in the Indian state of Gujarat. The new wave of violence was prompted by the arrest of a non-Gujarati for the alleged rape of a 14-month-old baby a week prior.
- At least 37 people die in the Indian state of Gujarat after a passenger bus plunges off a bridge over the Purna River.
- Protests by the Patidar community in Ahmedabad turn violent, sparking violence across the state of Gujarat, India.
- Twelve people die of swine flu in the Indian state of Gujarat taking the death toll to 136 since January with 130 new cases reported.
- Heavy rains in Rajkot, Gujarat, India, lead to damage valued at over 100 million rupees.