2016 Chiloe earthquake
A magnitude 7.7 earthquake in Chile spurs tsunami warnings.
A tsunami alert issued after a powerful earthquake off the coast of Chile has now been lifted.
- 2016 Chiloe earthquake: A magnitude 7.7 earthquake in Chile spurs tsunami warnings.
- A magnitude 7.7 earthquake in Chile spurs tsunami warnings.
- A 7.7 magnitude earthquake strikes off Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula, west of the Alaskan Aleutian Island of Attu, in the North Pacific Ocean. No immediate reports of casualties or damage; a tsunami warning was cancelled.
- A 6.8 earthquake strikes off the coast of Mindanao, Philippines triggering tsunami warnings.
- A magnitude 7.0 earthquake occurs off the coast of El Salvador with the potential to cause a tsunami. Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega declares a state of emergency because of the quake and Hurricane Otto.
- A magnitude 6.4 earthquake strikes near Kumamoto, Japan, collapsing several buildings killing at least four people and injuring 400. However, no tsunami warning was issued and local nuclear power plants reported no problems.
- The Meteorological, Climatological and Geophysical Agency of Indonesia (BMKG) and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) issue tsunami warnings, after an undersea 7.9 magnitude earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, in the Indian Ocean.