Typhoon Chaba heads for western Japan with the islands of Shikoku and Kyushu experiencing heavy rainfall.
At least three people have been killed as Typhoon Chaba batters South Korea.
- AAP via SBS (Image)
- Typhoon Chaba, now a super typhoon with winds of 145 knots (165 mph), heads for Japan's southern islands with storm warnings of torrential rain followed by mudslides and flooding.
- The death toll in Japan from Typhoon Lionrock rises to 17 with several people still missing. Typhoon Namtheun is now threatening the main island of Kyushu.
- Typhoon Malakas makes landfall on the southern Japanese island of Kyushu dumping heavy rain and causing flight cancellations.
- Two U.S. Marine aircraft from Iwakuni air base crash off the coast of Shikoku, Japan, during a mid-air refueling. One serviceman is rescued by Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force, while one is found dead and five are still reported missing.
- Mount Kirishima in Kyushu, Japan, erupts. It is the first time it has erupted since 1768.