Seven Indonesian sailors are kidnapped off the coast of Sulu near Mindanao in the southern Philippines raising terrorism fears.
- Philippine Daily Inquirer
- The New York Times
- Three Filipino soldiers are killed and 17 others injured in fighting with Abu Sayyaf militants in the province of Sulu, Philippines.
- At least 14 are killed in clashes with suspected Abu Sayyaf militants in Sulu, Philippines.
- Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines agree on joint naval patrols after an increase of kidnappings by the Abu Sayyaf militants.
- At a United Nations-Oceans summit, delegates from China, Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand, four of the top polluters of plastic into the oceans, pledge to reduce their levels of oceanic plastic pollution.
- Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters rebels storm a school in Pigcawayan, North Cotabato, Philippines, and take civilians hostage.
- Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines begin joint patrols in the pirate havens within the Celebes and Sulu Seas.
- The government of the Philippines and the Communist Party cancel peace talks after president Rodrigo Duterte declares martial law in Mindanao.
- A 6.8 earthquake strikes off the coast of Mindanao, Philippines triggering tsunami warnings.
- The Abu Sayyaf militant group beheads their German hostage Jurgen Kantner in Indanan, Philippines.
- A 6.5 magnitude earthquake strikes 14 kilometers (8 miles) northwest of Surigao City on the Philippines island of Mindanao and kills four people, injures more than 100 others, and damages multiple buildings.