Tropical Storm Fred's predicted track will turn northeast toward the Azores islands off the coast of Portugal as a Tropical Depression.
Fred has dissipated after impacting the Republic of Cabo Verde last week.
- Hurricane Fred hits Cape Verde causing flooding and the closure of airports.
- Five deaths occurred in Haiti as Tropical Storm Erika dumped heavy rains there, on the Dominican Republic, and on Puerto Rico. The storm weakened to a Tropical Depression before it hit Cuba (max winds 56 kph (35 mph), heading to the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.
- A Canadair firefighting plane reportedly crashes in Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal, while tackling raging wildfires. However, this claim has been denied by Portuguese authorities.
- The death toll from forest fires in Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal, rises to at least 62. Many victims were trapped on the road between the towns of Figueiro dos Vinhos and Castanheira de Pera.
- Wildfires in central Portugal kill at least 24 people and several firefighters are among 20 injured. The death toll so far is the largest due to a wildfire in Portugal since 1966.
- Salvador Sobral of Portugal wins the Eurovision Song Contest with the song ''Amar pelos dois''. While the country debuted in the 1964 edition of the contest, this marks the first win by a Portuguese entrant.
- Catholics in Portugal converge in a shrine in Fatima for a visit by Pope Francis.
- A small Swiss-owned plane crashes in the Portuguese village of Tires, west of Lisbon, killing at least five people.
- Portugal's Antonio Guterres begins his term as United Nations Secretary-General, replacing South Korea's Ban Ki-moon.
- Former Prime Minister of Portugal Antonio Guterres is sworn in as the new United Nations Secretary General.