The U.S.-led coalition dispatches American troops to Kunduz to help Afghan forces combat Taliban militants.
The American soldiers were sent to “train, advise and assist” the Afghan military’s bid to retake the city.
- The Washington Post
- Taliban militants attack an Afghan National Army base in Shah Wali Kot District, Kandahar Province, killing at least 15 soldiers.
- The Taliban launches an offensive entering the city of Kunduz which they briefly captured last year.
- Suspect Taliban militants kill nine and kidnap 170 in an attack on three passenger buses in Kunduz, Afghanistan.
- Heavy fighting continues in the north of Afghanistan as Taliban fighters intensify their attacks in several districts around Kunduz in their bid to retake the city. According to a police chief, militants overnight attacked several police checkpoints in the southwest outskirts of the city while government forces repelled a major attack to the east of Kunduz.
- According to a police chief, at least 40 Taliban fighters are killed after launching an offensive against Afghan security forces to seize the strategic northern city of Kunduz while four security force personnel are also killed.