Ecuador declares a state of emergency over increased activity at the Cotopaxi volcano near the capital of Quito. Its last major eruption was in 1877.
Officials evacuate several hundred people amid increasing activity in Cotopaxi volcano, near the capital Quito.
- Al Jazeera (Image)
- Ecuador declares a state of emergency over increases in migrant entry from Venezuela.
- A meeting is held in Lima attended by representatives from Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil, to develop requests for aid in regards to Venezuelan immigrants, which will be sent to organisations including the United Nations and International Red Cross. Yesterday, there was a similar meeting in Bogota. A larger meeting has been set-up to be held in Quito in early September, to be attended by representatives from 14 countries and 10 international organisations.
- A road accident in Quito, Ecuador involving a bus and a truck leaves 24 people dead and 18 others injured.
- Ecuador evacuates several villages around the Cotopaxi volcano ahead of a possible eruption.
- Ecuador declares a state of emergency in the Galpagos Islands after a ship, "The Floreana", carrying hazardous materials ran aground January 28.