Roxana Baldetti, the Vice President of Guatemala, resigns over a corruption scandal.
Get the latest international news and world events from Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and more. See world news photos and videos at ABCNews.com
- AP via ABC News America
- Former Guatemalan Vice President Roxana Baldetti is sentenced to 15 years and 6 months in prison for fraud in a system to clean the polluted Lake Amatitln. Baldetti still has four pending lawsuits and extradition to the United States.
- A legislative commission urges the Congress of Guatemala to remove President Otto Perez Molina's immunity from prosecution over a corruption scandal that has caused former Vice President Roxana Baldetti to be jailed and much of the Cabinet to resign.
- Former Vice President of Guatemala Roxana Baldetti appears in court to face corruption charges as finance minister Dorval Carias resigns.
- Archbishop of Guatemala City Oscar Julio Vian Morales died at age 70. Acting President Jafeth Cabrera decrees three days of national mourning.
- In Guatemala the country's electoral supreme court calls for general elections to be held on September 11 to elect President and Vice President, Mayors of the 333 municipal corporations, members for a new Congress and members for the Central American Parliament (PARLACEN). A second round of voting for President and Vice-President will be held on November 6 if needed.