At least 38 people are dead after a bus collides with a van carrying flammable liquids in China's Hunan province.
Forty-three people reportedly killed when a van hit a bus on a highway in central China, triggering a fire and explosion.
- AFP via ABC News Australia (Image)
- A man plows his car into a crowd of people at a busy square in Hengyang, Hunan, China, before exiting his vehicle and stabbing bystanders. Eleven people are killed and 44 others are injured. The attacker was detained and identified by police as a convicted drug dealer and thief, who said that "he wanted to take revenge on society".
- Hand, foot and mouth disease kills 149 people in Hunan, China.
- As snowstorms continue to worsen in China, Premier Wen Jiabao offers an apology to the public while visiting Changsha train station in Hunan as millions are stranded in train stations waiting to go home during Chinese New Year.
- A bridge under construction completely collapses in Fenghuang County, Hunan Province, China, killing at least 47 people. 21 workers are injured, 13 are still missing.
- China's Xinhua News Agency unveils the world's first AI news anchor. Xinhua says the AI presenters can work "24 hours a day", thus reducing news production costs.