Two freight trains collide in southeast Missouri, United States, causing a highway overpass to collapse.
- A boiler explosion at a Missouri box company in St. Louis's historic Soulard neighborhood kills three people and injures four others.
- At least 7 people are killed in the US states of Missouri, Arkansas and Texas due to tornadoes and floods.
- Chuck Berry, pioneering rock music singer and guitarist, dies in the U.S. state of Missouri at the age of 90. Berry was one of the first inductees in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump hold the second presidential debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential election at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, in a "town meeting" format.
- Peabody Energy, the largest privately-owned producer of coal in the world headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, files for bankruptcy court protection due to high debts and a drop in world prices.