- AFP via ''The Australian
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, on a trip to Shanghai, China, announces that the Australian dollar is set to trade directly with the Chinese yuan, becoming the third currency to do so.
- Australia opens a national probe into child sex abuse, with Prime Minister Julia Gillard warning of "uncomfortable truths" as institutions including schools and churches come under scrutiny.
- The Prime Minister of Australia Julia Gillard announces that the next federal election will be held on September 14.
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard is among the MPs to have been revealed in the latest MPs' interests register to have received gifts, including iPods and concert tickets, from Bono.
- Thousands of people gather in Canberra, Australia to protest the introduction of a carbon tax, Prime Minister Julia Gillard met the Australian Youth Climate Coalition which is pushing for a price on emissions, while climate change mitigation activists including the Australian Council of Trade Unions delivered a petition to Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency Greg Combet signed by about 10,000 "working Australians" urging the government to take action.