Five people are killed and eleven are injured, two seriously, when an apartment complex is destroyed by a gas explosion in Frenstat pod Radhostem, Czech Republic.
- Prague Daily Monitor
- At least 40 homes are damaged and 1 person killed in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover, as at least 39 gas explosions level houses. Residents are being evacuated to neighboring towns.
- A Taliban suicide bomber kills three Czech soldiers on a routine patrol in Charikar, Afghanistan. A U.S. soldier and two Afghan troops are also injured in the bombing.
- A court in Radom, Poland, hands a six-month suspended prison term and a 10,000 zloty fine to a Russian pilot who caused a security scare during Pope Francis's 2016 visit for World Youth Day. The Russian had flown from the Czech Republic to compete in an international aerobatics competition and unknowingly violated a no-fly zone imposed for the papal visit. After failing to contact the aircraft, local authorities scrambled two F-16 fighter jets to intercept it.
- Six people are killed after an explosion at a Unipetrol plant in Kralupy nad Vltavou, Czech Republic.
- Incumbent Milos Zeman, who opposes immigration and objects to EU sanctions against Russia, is elected to a second term as President of the Czech Republic, after receiving 51.8 percent of the votes in the run-off election over pro-EU challenger Jiri Drahos.