A railroad bridge collapsed on Friday over a creek in southern New Jersey, causing a Conrail freight train to derail and spill hazardous chemicals into the air and water, authorities said.
- NY Daily News
- Reuters (Image)
- Over 30 people are injured, seven seriously, in a bus collision at Lincoln Tunnel between New Jersey and New York, United States.
- A school bus and a dump truck collide on Interstate 80 in Mount Olive Township, New Jersey, U.S., killing two people and injuring 43.
- The U.S. Supreme Court, in a case brought by New Jersey challenging the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), which prohibited state-sponsored sports betting outside of four grandfathered states, holds that PASPA is unconstitutional, opening the door for all states to authorize sports betting.
- The U.S. Government Accountability Office starts a study into the (currently unregulated) length of freight trains.
- Amid a budget crisis, Governor Chris Christie shuts down the state government of New Jersey.