3 Greenpeace activists successfully evade a Danish warship to scale an oil rig off the coast of Greenland, attempting to begin deepwater drilling in the arctic.
- Irish Independent
- Denmark proper (not counting Greenland) gets its first natural UNESCO World Heritage Sites, in addition to its three cultural sites, as Stevns Klint and the Danish parts of the Wadden Sea are inscribed on the UNESCO list.
- Cairn Energy discovers gas off the coast of Greenland, amid protests from Greenpeace demanding it halt its oil operations.
- Denmark sends a scientific team to the Arctic to try to establish that the Lomonosov Ridge is an extension of Greenland so it can claim sovereignty over oil reserves.
- The government of Denmark is investigating whether it can claim ownership of the North Pole, by studying how far the underwater portion of Greenland, a Danish territory, extends. Canada and Russia are already undertaking similar investigations regarding their own claims.
- Danish artist Marco Evaristti paints an iceberg in Greenland red, using 780 gallons of paint.