Indian opposition Bharatiya Janata Party seeks the President's intervention on being denied entry into Kashmir Valley for the flag hoisting programme in Srinagar on Republic Day (India).
- Hindustan Times
- Indian journalist Shujaat Bukhari is shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir. One of his bodyguards was also killed in the shooting.
- The ruling party of India, the Bharatiya Janata Party, wins plurality in state assembly elections in Karnataka.
- Amid growing tensions between China and India and Bhutan over disputed land, the Bharatiya Janata Party supports the words of defence minster Arun Jaitley that "India of 2017 is different from India of 1962". It follows a warning from China to India that referenced the defeat of the latter during the 1962 Sino-Indian War.
- Six people are killed in clashes between protesters and police near Srinagar in the disputed region of Kashmir Valley, during a by-election for a vacant seat in the Indian Lok Sabha.
- Three senior figures in the Bharatiya Janata Party, L.K. Advani, Uma Bharati and Murli Manohar Joshi, will be tried for their alleged role in the destruction of the Babri Masjid Mosque in the northern Indian town of Ayodhya.