An emerging outbreak of avian cholera kills thousands of eider ducks in Arctic regions of Canada. Scientists are studying the outbreak and its potential to spread to Greenland.
Avian cholera could spread into areas of the Arctic, including parts of Canada and Greenland, where the contagious bird disease has not been present before, say scientists.
- A total solar eclipse is visible from northern Canada (Nunavut), Greenland, central Russia, eastern Kazakhstan, western Mongolia and China.
- Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada tours the Arctic regions of Canada to assert wider claims of sovereignty over the region following a recent claim by Russia to the North Pole.
- Denmark sends a scientific team to the Arctic to try to establish that the Lomonosov Ridge is an extension of Greenland so it can claim sovereignty over oil reserves.
- Canada has sent 2 "Kingston"-class warships to the north Arctic port of Churchill, Manitoba following a territorial dispute with Denmark regarding Hans Island.
- Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, invites bids for oil and gas exploration at Northeast Newfoundland Slope, a protected marine area that was closed to fishing in December.