Emergency teams in Guatemala resume rescue efforts after mudslides bury dozens of people.
Teams in Guatemala have to halt the search for bodies following devasting mudslides which have killed at least 45 people.
- Police in Chimaltenango, Guatemala capture ngel Gabriel Reyes Marroquin, a leader of the notorious Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, street gang. Prosecutors say he is connected to the deaths of at least 287 people. In 2014 Reyes escaped while facing charges including murder from a maximum security prison. Currently, he was also wanted for an August 17 armed attack on Roosevelt Hospital in Guatemala City in which seven people were shot dead.
- The Venerable Rev. Father Stanley Rother, a priest of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City (born in Okarche, Oklahoma), is beatified at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City by Cardinal Angelo Amato, head of the sainthood Congregation in the Roman Curia and Pope Francis's delegate. Rother, who became a missionary, was assassinated in July 1981 in the poor rural village of Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala, and is the first Catholic martyr born a citizen of the United States.
- A 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off the coast of Puerto San Jose, Guatemala.
- At least six people are killed and seven injured by a 6.9 magnitude earthquake in western Guatemala.
- A fire breaks out at an orphanage in San Jose Pinula, Guatemala after students protesting conditions including alleged sexual and physical abuse set fire to their bedding, killing at least 19 children.