163 people die from lead poisoning in Zamfara State, Nigeria: confirmed cases being treated number 355.
More than 100 children have recently died of lead poisoning in northern Nigeria digging illegally for gold, health officials say.
- BBC (Image)
- Bandits open fire at a village hall, where residents gather at night to watch films, in Zamfara State, Nigeria. Eleven people are killed and many more are injured.
- Gunmen kill at least 30 people in an attack on a gold mine in a remote area of Zamfara State, northwestern Nigeria.
- Armed bandits and robbers riding motorbikes kill 48 people in Nigeria's Zamfara State.
- Boko Haram militants kill at least 15 people in a village on the outskirts of Maiduguri, in northeast Nigeria.
- A spat in a market in Nigeria's northern Kaduna State results in 55 dead. After the brawl, 22 people were arrested.