A Taipei-Shanghai flight makes an emergency landing in Hangzhou after an American passenger makes an inappropriate reference to a bomb.
- The Age
- The Times of India
- Thousands of protesters demonstrate in Taipei, Taiwan, against imports of certain U.S. beef products.
- Mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans, Louisiana, is quarantined in Shanghai, China, after a passenger on his flight from the United States was diagnosed with A(H1N1) influenza.
- The People's Republic of China accuses Taiwanese Premier Yu Shyi-kun of "clamoring for war" after he said Taiwan would defend itself by firing missiles at Shanghai in the event of an attack of Taipei or Kaohsiung by the PRC.
- The Federal Aviation Administration of the United States orders Boeing 787 jets using Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines to operate within one hour of an airport at all times following safety concerns with the engines worldwide which culminated in Air New Zealand and Air China grounding their fleets last week.
- NASA's InSight Mars lander launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, California. It is the first interplanetary mission launched from the West Coast of the United States.